Friday, January 24, 2014

Sedona up next

Only one week away from the Sedona Marathon/Half Marathon event, and I can't wait!!! I've never been to Arizona before, and from what everyone has told me, Sedona is an amazingly beautiful place. In fact, that's largely why Andrew and I selected this "warm weather" location for a winter race. From the website of the event, it is clear to see why this race is listed as one of the most beautiful in the country. I can't wait to fill my eyes with the red rock formations all around me as I run. I surely will post pics as soon as I can. I am a little worried about the elevation of this race, however. From the elevation map on the race site, there are quite a few substantial hills, and this on top of the race being at some 4000+ feet high to begin with. We'll see how thin the air is and if it affects my run. My guess is that it probably will. I'm hoping to keep up my streak of sub-2 hour finishes.
In watching the Sedona weather these past couple of weeks, the temperatures are very chilly overnight (20's to 30's F) with warming up to the 60's F during the days. To me, it sounds like pretty perfect running conditions. For that, I am super excited! Not to mention it will feel like a heatwave compared to how it has been here in CT lately.
This week, the taper has been in full effect. I haven't logged many miles at all, but I have been keeping up with the P90 sculpt & abs at least. I'm hoping to get in a couple of decent runs this weekend and maybe a short 5 miler before we leave next week.
I'm looking forward to this race for many reasons. First of all, I'm traveling out there with my mom. This will be the first time she sees me run one of my half marathons. We will meet up with her dear friends, Ruth and Don, who live in AZ. They will all be there to spectate and cheer. I'm excited to run with cousin Andrew again on our first race in the west. Fun! I think I will also get to see Ruth & Don's son, William, who I haven't seen in a million years. It will be fun to catch up with everyone in such a beautiful place.
So with all this swirling around in my head, I have less than a week to prepare and to finish up some home projects that are on my list right now. Refreshing paint in our master bathroom and hallway, hanging pictures on a long overdue family photo wall, and getting various things ready for the family to make things easy on them while I'm gone (groceries, outfits, etc.). Gotta dash...too much to do just now. See you in Sedona!

No comments:

Post a Comment