Sunday, March 29, 2020

Running in the time of quarantine

So it has been a full two weeks that we have been "social distancing" in this time of Covid-19. Our kids are participating in school from home, I'm doing my best to work from home, we are not going out anywhere (only for necessities), but I am so thankful to still have running!
It is a good time to be a long-distance runner. A sport that is known for its solitude, running allows for exercise and distance from others in this time of virus. I'm really glad to be a runner rather than, say, a rugby player right now. Scrums would constitute a gathering larger than 5 and thus would not be allowed. All team sports, in fact, are over the limit of group size that is possible at the moment. It has just recently been announced, too, that the 2020 Summer Olympics that were to be held in Tokyo have been postponed until the summer of 2021 at the latest. These are unbelievable times. 
It is difficult staying in the house so much, but getting out for a run or walk each day has been a saving grace. Some fresh air, movement, breathing and freedom have been essential. It is very difficult to sit in front of a computer screen all day, every day. I make sure to take breaks throughout the day and force my kids to do the same. I know we will all be relieved to get back to school when this virus finally dies down. I just hope we see the inside of the school building again this academic year. 
I also firmly believe that keeping up with workouts will help to keep the body strong and more likely to ward off this horrible sickness. At least that's what I keep telling myself. One other nice side benefit of running in the time of quarantine is that there is less traffic on the roads which makes for less wait time and danger when having to cross the street. Silver lining.
It is also nice to pass others who are out walking or running (with at least a 6 foot distance). People are eager to exchange hellos and words of encouragement. Perhaps this pandemic will bring us together in the end. Until then, I'm going to keep on getting out on the run promptly followed by going straight back home. Stay healthy, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment