Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Final day in NC and life beyond...

I planned to meet the Solomons for breakfast on Sunday morning before I went to the airport, but after I woke up and read the news, I was worried about my travel plans. Apparently over night a new policy had gone into effect that people coming in to the US were to undergo mandatory Coronavirus testing and it was absolutely causing havoc at airports. To make sure I had enough time, I contacted Lynn to let her know I thought it best to just head to the airport. We met briefly at my hotel to say our goodbyes, and I was on my way. 
Luckily, the airport at Raleigh-Durham is a fairly small, regional airport, and it was spared the craziness that other, larger airport were reporting. I made it there in plenty of time to return my rental car and get to my gate. I am also so very lucky that neither of my flights home were impacted with delays or cancellations. I made it home by about 7:00 pm, and my family was waiting for me with a nice welcome home dinner. 
North Carolina block print.
I told everyone all about my travels and my solo race. It really had been a wonderful trip! I loved seeing my friends and experiencing their new city. The race was in a lovely area, and I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to run (super score!). But all in all, I was really happy to be home with my loved ones to wait out the storm of this virus. 
The next couple of days brought us work and school from home, which actually went really well. I touched base with some family and friends to make sure everyone was doing well, and I started to clean the house beyond the regular routine. St. Patrick's Day came and went without much fanfare, which was fine given all the weirdness of the world. 
Wednesday (3/18) was a gorgeous day, and I decided to get out for a run. It made me realize that at least I have control over that part of my life in this crazy time. It was a sunny and pretty warm day, and the 6 mile run felt great. I even managed to break a 10 minute mile for the whole distance (a miracle these days with the injured glute I've been dealing with).
I also found out today that the race I was planning to run in New Mexico in April has been postponed until November. That's fine with me. Now to just adjust flights and hotels. No big deal. Better to be safe than sorry.
Right now, I'm just grateful for my health and for the health of my family and for the privilege of being with my family at home. These are strange days, indeed, and hopefully they pass without great hardship and disaster. Stay safe, dear friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment