Monday, September 25, 2017

Settling in to September

The carefree days of summer are over, and now it's back to the old school routine. Which isn't such a bad thing, I suppose. Routine requires me to be more organized about getting things done at home (making lunches, ironing school clothes, meal planning, etc.) including fitting in my running time. I am certainly more of a morning runner than an afternoon/evening runner, so most days my workout kicks off the morning. This time of year it starts to get harder though, as it is still dark out until about 6 am which is my cut off time for getting out to run. Any later than that, and I'm sure to be late to work. Soon I'll have to head back to the gym so I'm not running in the pitch dark. While I don't love being tied to the treadmill all winter, at least I can still get my running miles in. 
September has been a productive month so far, although the temperatures here in CT sure don't feel like September. It was about 90 degrees here today! It was hardly that hot all summer. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I am not ready to have it be 20 degrees here either, but slightly cooler temps would be nice for my weekend runs. With 5 days of the month left, I'm only about 2.5 miles away from my 100 mile (or more) goal for the month. Consider it done. I'm proud to say that I've hit my goal all year so far. Yay!
My new rides.
September back-to-school time also means back to school shoes, right? I was in desperate need of new running shoes, so I went to my local Fleet Feet shop and picked up a couple of new pairs to rotate. They feel really swell so far. Anything would have been better than my old beat up, smelly shoes of the spring/summer. I chose the same two brands I got last time, Asics and Hokas. I've worn them each once so far this week, and it is amazing how much more energized my legs feel. Plus, I don't have the achiness in my legs and hips after running. I'm glad for that.
My next half marathon is about a month away: the Halfsy in Lincoln, NE. I'm looking forward to this one. I've heard from other 50 state runners that this one is a great race, so that's cool. This race is also my last for 2017, so it is time to start setting up my calendar for next year. Next year will put me in the single digits for races remaining. That seems unreal to me. Only 14 more states to go right now, and after next year I should be sub-10. Wow.
One last "first" story before I go. I was running a mid-distance run yesterday (7.3 mi), and as I made the turn on to a street a couple of streets away from my house for my last 3/4 mile or so, I felt this really strange looseness in my shirt. I suddenly realized that my running bra had somehow come unhooked! WHAT!!??? How in the world does that even happen??? I grabbed both sides of the bra to hold it together (I wear a front closure) and tried my best to make it look like I was grabbing my gut as if I had some cramping. Good lord! I made it on to my street and did my best to discreetly rehook and finish up my last few yards of running. My apologies to any neighbors who witnessed this mishap. Not sure how this happened...totally crazy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment