Sunday, September 1, 2019

Summer bummer and recovery

Haven't blogged in a while, but now that September is here, I figured it was time to check in and write about the end of summer running (or lack thereof) bummer I experienced this year. At the end of July, while out running a new route in a nearby town, I stepped on one of those green-cased, ball-shaped walnut coverings that drop from black walnut trees (I think that's what it was at least). At about 2 1/4 miles in to a 3 mile run, I stepped on the ball, twisted my right ankle hard and ended up with a pretty nasty sprain. Doc told me 2-3 weeks of rest. Total bummer! With 6 days left in July, I was looking for a banner month mileage-wise, but that wasn't to be. 
I rested for two weeks, diligently icing my puffy ankle, and not pushing myself much at all. It was so hard to just sit around, and I didn't like it one bit! I decided to try back slow, easy running after the two week mark, and I felt ok, but still really took it easy. I only ran 5 milers, and when I say slowly, I mean really slowly. In fact, on one of the days, my Apple watch indicated that I had done a 5 mile walk, even though I was slow running. Sheesh! 
I'm happy to report though, that I'm feeling pretty good now. The ankle feels fine while running, but I still get a little stiffness from time to time. I even managed to eke out my 100 miles for the month by doing those slow 5 milers for the remaining days of August. I'm so happy for that. 
With back-to-school looming, I hope to get back in my regular running routine, as I gear up for my next race, The Jazz Half Marathon, October 26th in New Orleans! Can't wait for that one. It will be my first trip to New Orleans, and it should be amazing to run there. 
Looking forward to a fun-filled (injury-free!) fall season of running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment