Saturday, April 16, 2016

Run-derful week!

This past week was school vacation at my workplace, so I had the lovely luxury of being home without many plans or schedules or craziness. I was able to take the week so focus on myself and my family for a bit, something I haven't done as much of this year with the new job and learning curve. I made healthy dinners all week, ran tons of miles, bought new running shoes, went to my favorite Weight Watchers meeting, did a bit of schoolwork and otherwise spent time with the family, reading, playing softball, cuddling, going to Starbucks...all the good stuff. 
First off this week, I invested in some new running shoes. Much of the reading I've been doing around running in recent months talks about the importance of rotating running shoes and brands. This is something I've been thinking about for some time. Pretty much my entire adult running life I've been wearing New Balance running shoes. They've been great for me, but lately with all these half marathons in my life, I decided it was time to change it up a bit. I have a perpetually sore hamstring and in recent months, my leg on that side has been hurting in other areas. I suspect it might be from my shoes and my pronation. So I went out and tried some new brands to try to change things up and see if it helps. 
Asics Gel Kayano 22 running shoes.
The first pair I purchased is the Asics Gel Kayano 22. These shoes are delightful on the foot. The foot  base is super cushy gel, which throughout the first run in them felt amazing. Almost immediately I felt a difference in my bad leg...less achy for sure during the run. I ran in these shoes for the first three days of the week with comfortable results.
Later in the week, I went to the local(ish) Fleet Feet to have my walk analyzed and shoes recommended. This time I ended up with a pair of Hoka One One Clifton 2 shoes. The very knowledgable sales guy explained that since I tend to run on the outer side of my shoes that I shouldn't go with a stability shoe (something I usually ALWAYS do). Maybe that has been my issue as of late? So he recommended a few other pairs to me, and the Hokas felt the best. I've resisted them forever because they look so big and I thought I'd just trip over them, but actually they are very light and have terrific cushioning and sort of a "rocking" footfall. They feel good. 
Hoka One One Clifton 2 running shoes.
With all the excitement of new shoes, I ran lots of miles this week, of course. I'm about two weeks away from my next half marathon, this time in Cincinnati, OH (The Flying Pig Half). At this point in training, I'm at my long runs. The first run of the vacation was a 10 miler, followed by a series of 5 milers during the week and capped by a 12.7 miler on Friday. My total mileage for the week was 49.5. Shazam! It is amazing what you can do when you have free time away from work! I ran slowly most of the time, as getting the miles in was more important to me than my time. I'll save my push for time for the actual race. No need to get crazy and hurt myself. I'm thrilled with this mileage, as my usual goal of 100 miles per month has been unattainable so far this year due to illness and inability to get miles in due to schedules. Hello April! Back on track!
Another terrific thing I was able to do this week was drop in at my former Thursday morning Weight Watchers meeting. It was so nice to see all my old WW peeps again, and I felt like some kind of superstar walking in there with everyone so happy to see me, too. I've not been the world's greatest Weight Watcher this past year. I just haven't had the time to focus on it like I used to, but I'm starting to get back to it. I've gained a few pounds this school year, and I'm determined to get them off. This meeting helped kick me back in to motion with a 2.4 lb. loss on the scale. I'll take it, and I plan to keep the momentum going. In 8 short weeks, work will be done for the year, and I can see my WW group every week again. I like the consistency of the meetings and all the great information that is exchanged. It will be good to have my head squarely back in that game.
Having time off allowed me to plan healthy dinners, too, instead of just the same old quick easy meals. I dug out my old Weight Watcher recipe for Mexican Meatloaf which I made with cauliflower "mashed potatoes." So delicious! I bought some incredible sea scallops from my favorite local fish market and cooked up the Skinny Taste pan-seared scallops with wilted spinach. Friday night I tried the Cooking Light recipe for cauliflower pizza crust which came out great, too. It was nice to have some different and healthy dinners this week. Now to just keep that going...
Cooking Light cauliflower pizza crust with our choice of toppings.
It is now the weekend, and in two short days the work week starts up again. I am so grateful to have had this break to refocus on things on the home front. My week concludes with the Boston Marathon on Monday...such an amazing race, and I wish all the runners a swift and enjoyable run. It is a run-derful time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment