Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Another year complete, a new one to conquer!

Here we are at the end of 2015. Amazing that this year is gone and another one is about to whisk us away! Looking back at my running year, I am very pleased. This year was the first year that I decided to keep a mileage log, thanks to my friend Scott here in town who often posts his mileage milestones on Facebook. Although my first couple of months (January and February, 2015) were less than what I had hoped, I will end the year over 1200 miles logged, approximately 100 miles a month. Having not kept stats on my mileage before, I'm happy with this. And I'm looking forward to what next year will bring. 
As far as this year's running travels go, what a fun journey it was! I ran in Birmingham, AL; Olathe, KS; Rexburg, ID; Spearfish, SD; Fargo, ND; Frankenmuth, MI; Boulder City, NV. Thinking back, I have such fond memories of each place and each race, with the standouts being the Dakotas with our friends Pat and Patti and Michigan with the terrific running group I met and had the privilege to hang with. I am still, of course, grateful and amazed at the folks in Kansas who bought me dinner! Thank you again, Land of Oz friends! And I am still soaking up the beauty of Lake Mead and the canyons in Nevada, just a stone's throw from Las Vegas if you are ever out there. The beauty in our country, both in landscape and humanity, is bountiful and staggering. I feel so incredibly fortunate to be able to experience these wonderful people and places along the way. 
Birmingham, AL
Olathe, KS
Rexburg, ID
South Dakota
North Dakota
Frankenmuth, MI
Lake Mead, NV
Having mentioned the positives of the past year, unfortunately this last week (my holiday vacation from work) hasn't been so great. I came down with strep throat and have been laying low for the last few days, plus with the Christmas hustle and bustle I missed a couple of running days, so I still have 12 miles to churn out before year's end two days from now. I'm hoping my body will cooperate, and I can end the year with another 100 mile month. Even though I hate being sick, at least it has forced me to rest, and it has killed my holiday (sweets & bad stuff) appetite. Time to get back to the real food, slim down, eat right diet again. Needless to say, I'm happy all the Christmas cookies are gone and that  Weight Watchers has announced its new plan changes. I'm ready for action!
Looking ahead, I'm excited to head to Austin, TX. I've never been to Texas before, and I'm especially excited about going to Austin because my childhood best friend lives there. I will get to see her and meet her 7 children! We haven't seen each other in years, but thanks to Facebook, we've been in touch for quite some time. I can't wait! Cousin Andrew will be there with me, too, which is great, as we can check out the city together. I've heard such great things about it, and I can't wait to visit. It will be a great start to my running/travel year, I'm sure! 
I hope my running friends and readers had a wonderful holiday season. I wish you all a peaceful new year and success in all your running challenges! It is a blank slate, so get out there and fill it up! Happy 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment